"In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back."
-Charlie Brown


Sunday, August 24, 2008

Roller Skating

When I was a kid, I was really into 3 things: soccer, The Beatles, and roller skating. Between the ages of about 11-14, I spent MANY Friday evenings at Skateway with Michelle and Kristin, my childhood friends. (I know it is now called Skate Express, but my Chino compadres know it by the original name!) Any self-respecting Skateway rat would not be caught dead in a pair of rental skates. I always had my own pair - and even today - I still own a pair of skates.

Since last week was the last week of summer and school starts tomorrow, I wanted to take the boys to do something fun. I suggested we go roller skating, and to my surprise, they both agreed. Neither one of them had ever tried it before. But with all the skateboarding and snowboarding they do, I figured they would have decent balance. So I unearthed my old skates from the depths of the garage and we went back to Skateway.





















While we were still on the carpet, I gave them some pointers and they got used to the skates. It took them both about twice around holding on to the side before they wanted to try going out into the middle of the rink. I have to hand it to them, they both picked it up fast. Yes, they had plenty of falls, but by the end of it, they were begging me to stay longer. And on the way home, they asked me when I could bring them back. We all had a great time.

Now if I could just get them to like all my Beatle albums...



3 comments:

www.mostblessedman.blogspot.com said...

SKATEWAY ROCKS!!!!

The Beatles should be an easy pill to swallow!!

Stewart Van Buskirk said...

jNow, was there any Devo or Journey playing? It isn't a trip to Skateway without it.

Tara said...

No Devo or Journey, but the DJ played a Queen song for me!