"In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back."
-Charlie Brown


Saturday, September 27, 2008

Kindergarten

I try to avoid substitute assignments in kindergarten, but yesterday I ended up working there. I have seriously lost my patience for crying kids and tying shoes and helping put straws into juice boxes. I know that if I am only going to be there for a day or two, it's better to work with older kids because they can handle change more easily. They don't burst into tears if you don't know the hand movements for the piggy song.

However, yesterday's assignment did turn up these gems:

Brandon: Mrs. Z, why do you have all those things on your arms?
Me: Those are freckles.
Brandon: Why are there so many on you?
Me: I went in the sun too much.
Brandon: Do they hurt?
Me: No, they don't hurt at all.
Brandon: Why don't you wash them off?
Me: They don't come off.

A little while later, another teacher caught Brandon with a brown marker.

Other Teacher: Brandon, why did you draw on your arm?
Brandon: Those are freckles!

And out on the playground, I overheard this conversation.

Kid#1: I'm going to be Batman for Halloween.
Kid#2: I'm going to be a leprechaun!
Kid#1: What's a leprechaun?
Kid#2: The little guy who hides the gold!
Kid#1: Where are you going to get the gold?
Kid#2: I'll probably have to get it at Wal Mart.


Here are my little leprechauns when Noah was in kindergarten and Caleb was in pre-school.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tara, I hope you are keeping all these cute teaching stories in some kind of journal. They will make a great book one of these days!!

Kristine Van Buskirk said...

Great stories! LOL Kids make me laugh. I had a kid once, during piano lessons, look around my room and say,
kid: you have a lot of things in here from the 80's.
me: ya, I guess so.
kid: I have something from the 80's, maybe 70's. My sand timer. (hourglass) Because they didn't have time!
He was so serious, I didn't have the heart to tell him, I'm not that old, that I didn't have time. I just said, "maybe!"

Great stories! I agree with "anonymous," you need to record these. You have some other funny ones too.

Tara said...

Noah asked me the other day if there was color television when I was younger! I was like, "I'm not THAT old!"