"In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back."
-Charlie Brown


Saturday, September 06, 2008

Goodbye Summer

The calendar may say that there are still a few weeks until September 21, but my summer is definitely gone. I think I have finally come to accept this fact now that school has been back on for 2 weeks. (Never mind that my kids will still be wearing shorts here in California until at least November!) This week was a bit of a juggling act. I said goodbye to my days of sleeping in, leisurely reading, riding bikes with the kids, making snow cones, not worrying about a schedule. I actually had to pay attention to what was happening this week!



There was soccer practice for Noah, soccer pictures, signing Caleb up for tennis, trying to find Caleb a tennis racquet, buying new cub scout books for them both, buying Caleb a cub scout shirt, back-to-school-night, the Los Osos HS staff family night/football game, lots of homework to check, 2 different teaching positions to apply for (which involves a ton of photocopying and calling around, not to mention a trip or 2 to the post office), and I am starting to get calls to substitute. Tuesday night Scott and I went to see Paul Weller at the Wiltern in LA and didn't get home until midnight. (Scott went again on Wednesday night with my brother Stew.) The show was great, but to quote my husband, "I'm getting too old to keep up the rock and roll lifestyle."



All of this was in addition to the usual stuff... laundry, cleaning, trips to Costco, grocery shopping, Target, figuring out what to make for dinner (and now lunches too)! I could really use a housekeeper and/or personal chef.



So goodbye lazy days of summer...I am really going to miss you.



Caleb and Noah at the Los Osos HS Football Game. We had V.I.P. seats behind the end zone (and free dinner) because we are related to a certain staff member.

2 comments:

Stewart Van Buskirk said...

I totally agree! Already, SUMMER I MISS YOU! I know kids need scheduling, but I like to be free!

Kristine Van Buskirk said...

Oops, that last post was me. Sorry.