"In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back."
-Charlie Brown


Monday, September 22, 2008

Chocolate

I love chocolate - always have, always will. I used to sneak chocolate chips from the bag when I was a kid. I had bubble bath that smelled like chocolate. For 2 years straight in high school my lunch consisted of a Butterfinger and nothing else. (I wish I was kidding, but sadly, it's true). When I was teaching full time, I had a desk drawer devoted entirely to chocolate. Both of my brothers won't touch chocolate - especially chocolate cake. Weird, I know.

When I was in Spain I discovered this magical place called a chocolateria. The Spaniard idea of hot chocolate is like the consistency of pudding. You dip churros into it. It may sound bizarre, but it is fantastic. It's a good thing we didn't find the chocolateria earlier on the trip, because I would have gone back every night.

Like many women that I know, I have a chocolate stash. Honestly, I have several. I can't divulge any of the locations, because Scott occasionally reads my blog and he has already found one of my secret hiding places. (I thought the drawer for the placemats would be safe because now that the boys set the table, the placemats don't ever see the light of day). Unlike my brothers, my husband likes chocolate, and he knows I always have some in the house.

My mother used to hide the chocolate in the freezer. My grandmother had a glass candy dish full of chocolate that served as the decoy; the the rest of the stuff she tucked away inside a frying pan at the back of the cupboard. I am fairly sure that hiding chocolate is not just something the women in my family do. I don't consider it being selfish. There are times in a woman's life when there better be a Ghiradelli square close by or something bad is going to happen. And if everyone in the house knew where the chocolate was hidden, it would disappear in 2 days.

Anyone else have a chocolate stash?

5 comments:

korie said...

This is a great post! My favorite is almonds and chocolate. I'm a big nuts and chews fan (Sees.)I have been eating the semi-sweet chocolate chips from the bag all day today! I was going to make chocolate chip pumpkin cookies but, haven't gotten the motivation yet. I would have to say drinking the ready made chocolate milk is one of my favorite things lately since I don't have much room for food.

Kristine Van Buskirk said...

Awesome post! I'm craving chocolate now! I have to say, I don't have a "secret" stash. I just leave mine out. That's what my mom always did, and I think because it's not hidden, it's less desirable to my kids. Ask Scott. He always knows where to find the candy stash at my house. I don't know. Maybe we just don't eat candy that much. But some how, I always do have some around. I go through phases. When I'm at the store, I buy some chocolate, and only eat half the bag. Then the next trip, I buy some starbursts, and only eat half that bag. That leaves both half bags left and no one is eating it. I don't know. We're just weird! I would love a good Twix right now! YUM!

Stewart Van Buskirk said...

Don't listen to Kristine. She eats plenty of candy, especially around Haloween, Christmas, Easter...you get the point. Now every once in a while I'll crave a snickers or twix, but I don't need a secret stash for that. The next time I'm at your house, I'm gonna check some drawers. Or maybe there's some stashed in Grandma Vans' old cookie jar?

Melanie said...

Hey Tara! I can honestly say that all MEADORS love chocolate. My mom always had a stash and still does. It seemed like she always saved the day on those Sundays when we REALLY wanted a treat and couldn't find anything or have all the ingredients to make something. At first she would just disapear for a little bit and walk back in the room with some chocolate (like she was real sneaky). She would never tell us where she had it. Until one Sunday Kevin and I SEARCHED everywhere. We knew we were getting close to finding a stash by the way she would laugh and TRY to lie about it. One place was in her dining room hutch. I know she had a stash in her closet somewhere. Lately I try not to keep treats in the house because I'm trying to diet. But the rule is...if I really want something I can just go buy it. That was a great post Tara! Your family is not the only chocolate stashers!

Timbo said...

Sis,

I just can't understand what you and the rest of the world find so undeniably irresistable about a piece of chocolate cake. I would just rather have a big bown of PC smothered in butter, salt and parm. cheese. Oh, I would then need the big glass or two of DC (if we were @ Ma & Pa's, we would be swigging down a bottle of white trash root beer).

I can honestly say that until I read your post, I DID NOT EVER know that Grandma had that secret stash in the cupboard. Man, I guess that I was more asleep (either that or I was just too busy throwing darts at my sister in the garage) to notice the extra chocolate.