I loved being a teacher - it is the best job in the world. But when I became a mom, I decided to take some time off from the classroom and stay home with my own children. I thought it would be pretty easy to go back to teaching when my kids got older and I felt ready to work again. Not as easy as I thought! With budget cuts to education and declining student enrollment in my area, I have not had much success in finding a job. There just aren't that many schools hiring. I have been working as a substitute, but I really want my own class again.
I scoured the available teaching positions posted online. I told every teacher I knew that I was looking for a job. Last month I applied for a job at an elementary school teaching 4th grade. I really wanted this position - I scoped out the school, figured out the best driving route, read everything on the school's website...I was positive they would call me in for an interview and hire me. When I got an e mail telling me thanks, but no thanks, I was pretty crushed. A few weeks later, I ran into someone I knew from college who teaches at the school where I applied. She told me that they had 1 position open, but over 400 applicants! Admittedly, that made me feel a tiny bit better. No wonder I didn't even get an interview.
I'm really just venting here, because hey, it's my blog, and I can.
If you know any teacher jokes, send them my way because I'm really trying to keep a sense of humor!



3 comments:
I wish I knew one for you! I was reading that thinking you were going to say you got it :( I had no idea it was that hard to find a teaching job right now! Good Luck!
Teaching jobs a plenty in North
Carolina!! Say the word and we'll make it two. Sorry that you have been having such a hard time, you should just go in and say, "do you know who I am? I am Tara Zollinger, Dam%@t!!" That should go over well!
Your "Little" brother!
Seriously, I agree with your brother! If they only knew what a great person and teacher you are. They should let some old traditional teacher go and you take their spot. I'm also looking for a job. I want a break from the classroom this year. This last school years was a difficult one for me. I did survive and it was a rewarding year but I still decided to resign. I would love to find something working with small groups or even an aide of somekind. I've applied for a couple positions in a neighboring district. So, I may be subbing. Believe it or not, I've never done that before. Hang in there. I know an opportunity will come along for you!
Oh, I brought you mac n cheese to church once...I so don't remember that! I was cracking up about that. Hopefully it was on a YW night and not a Sunday. One more thing, the soap in your spa...that was all Jeni's idea! I had forgotten about that too. I felt bad after reading that.
I remember you had your brother's jeep (I think it was his) and you took Jeni and I cruising in it! I think we went to a movie and I had to use the bathroom really bad after but I decided to wait. So, you though it was funny to drive really fast over the speed bumps and I was stuggling! We had some good times hanging out with Sis. "Z"!!!
Post a Comment