"In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back."
-Charlie Brown


Thursday, April 09, 2009

Blue Jean Blues



There is an old pioneer saying that goes like this:

Use it up, wear it out,
Make it do, or do without.


I have definitely followed that advice when it comes to my favorite pair of jeans. If I was not wearing a dress, "teacher" clothes, or pajamas...chances were about 90% that I had my trusty Levis on. They were so comfortable and fit me perfectly. These jeans have been with me for a LONG time - they have been to Spain, Canada, and various US states - including Ohio. I wore them last summer while hiking in Yellowstone. (Scott kept asking me if I brought anything else to wear!) I'm almost positive I was wearing them the last time I saw U2 in concert. I have other pairs of jeans, but they just don't compare.

Sadly, yesterday was the final straw for my favorite jeans - they are gone. For some time they have been slowly disintegrating. Yesterday I discovered there was a big hole in them! The material just wore away. I was totally shocked and sad! I know that compared with all the other tragedies in the world (earthquakes, floods, unemployment) this is minor. But now I have to go shopping for a new pair of jeans! It will take some time to break them in and get them just right.

My Levis are gone and I'm feeling down about it. I wonder what my pioneer ancestors would think of me now?

4 comments:

korie said...

I'm sure Avery would love to go with you on that shopping trip. And so would I.

Ironically I had a favorite shirt I got form the Gap and it was blue. It said blue on it in several different languages. I wore it from high school on until I was pregnant and it got too stretched out then the seem started to come out so I had to retire it. I can sympathize.

Timbo said...

Sis,

You sound way toooo much like pops with the "break in" comment. If dad noticed that his jeans have a hole in them, his standard answer will be that they are just now "broken in"!! Way to be responsible and throw away the jeans with holes.

bonniemomof5 said...

So sorry to hear of the loss of your jeans. I have lost some of my favorite shirts over the years and can sympathize. The good thing is that you can go shopping maybe with a buddy for a new pair. Good luck on finding a replacement.

Anonymous said...

I laughed when I read this. I have always thought of you not being sentiment about "things" But I guess there is something in your "genes" (jeans?) OK, I have had to throw out some of Dad's "uniforms" along the way. His 3 year old Kirtland shirts are really thrashed but I don't think he will give them up yet. I guess it comes naturally for you.
Love this blog. Mom