"In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back."
-Charlie Brown


Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Hot Dogs, Hats, and Hearts

I have been thinking a lot the last few weeks about my kids. Being the mother of boys can be rough! They keep pushing for more independence and freedom. It has been a challenge to find a balance between trying to protect them and letting them figure things out on their own. I constantly wonder if I am too overprotective. I am sure all parents go through this.


Recently, I have been letting them ride their bikes to the park in the afternoons - as long as they stay together and check back with me in 30 minutes. The park is only about 2 blocks from our house and they usually go with a group of other kids. The other night at dinner, Caleb was hardly eating anything and so I said, "You're not hungry?" He answered, "No, I bought a hot dog at the park." (There is a snack bar at the park right now because of little league.) I know he is just trying to find his place in the world, but for him to go and buy food on his own? That really took me back.




Noah wanted a new Dodgers hat - the EXPENSIVE one that they sell at the stadium. He has been saving for a while. So we were at the Dodger game the other night and he just walks up to the little shop and asks for a hat in his size, hands over the money, and walks away...all on his own, no help from us. As I was watching this take place, I thought to myself, "He is so grown up! How did that happen?"


Yes - they still need me for lots of things, but they are both pretty capable on their own. I know I have a lot more to teach them, but right now it feels like they are trying to teach me to let go just a little bit.

2 comments:

korie said...

Time just files doesn't it. Lucky me to have a friend like you going through all these experiences before me so I can learn from your example :)

bonniemomof5 said...

I remember when I had Kaleb in the nursery. And now he is baptized and everything! It's amazing how they grow. But your boys have great examples, being born of goodly parents. It's just hard on us as they stretch their wings as they prepare to fly.