"In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back."
-Charlie Brown


Saturday, November 08, 2008

The Cheesiest

I know I had an earlier post about my fondness for chocolate, but I have another love affair with cheese. I am a big fan of cheese. It makes everything taste better - from tacos to sandwiches to pizza to pasta - cheese does wonders. If you are lactose intolerant and can't eat the stuff...I feel for you.

A new Trader Joe's recently opened in our neighborhood and they are known for their fabulous cheese selection. I went shopping there earlier this week to just pick up a few things for dinner. I ended up buying 4 different kinds of cheese. My whole bill was $60 - but $25 of of that was spent on cheese. My current favorite is the English Cheddar with caramelized onions. I put it on baked potatoes and it is delicious. I also really like the smoked Gouda. My kids like Swiss, so I buy it sliced to put on their sandwiches for school. And well, Parmesan is always a must. Do I sound like I am obsessing over cheese?

I have also been buying these little ice cream sandwiches from Trader Joe's. My boys really like them. I didn't realize at first that they were dairy-free. They are made from tofu and they are pretty tasty. Noah was reading the box the other night and he said, "I'm surprised you would buy something that is dairy-free." And so I ask, "Why is that?" He says, "You grew up in Chino - you love dairy!"

5 comments:

korie said...

Now I'm hungry! Glad you have a working fridge to keep all the cheese in :)

Tara said...

If your fridge is going to catch on fire, it's nice to know your friend will come from Colorado to help move in a new one!

Jeni said...

Tara. . . Man! You're right. Apparently I haven't been showing enough gratitude towards cheese. Pizza, pasta...it all just wouldn't be the same without cheese! I just gave a talk on gratitude today and I should have added cheese to the list. Ü

No really. Cheese is great! It was fun to read all about your fetish with cheese. I don't recall knowing that about you. Mel and I were talking yesterday too and she asked me if I remembered that you played the bagpipes. I told her I didn't think so, but with my "baby brain" these days that doesn't mean a whole lot because I can't remember things. Anyways, we were both very impressed by your bagpipe playing. You were awesome!

Anyways, I hope you're doing well. I miss the good old days in Young Women's. You were the best leader Tara! I'm in Young Women's now and I often think about how great you were and want to be the type of leader you were!

Love ya,
Jeni

Tara said...

Thanks for saying nice things about me Jeni! I did not play the bagpipe back when you lived here. I only took it up about 4 years ago.

Stewart Van Buskirk said...

I didn't have your back on the chocolate, but I have it on the queso. I could not agree more. I remember as a kid when Mom would be grading cheese, I would sit there watching, waiting to get a little bit to snack on. When I got old enough, she would just make me do it. That was OK, because then I had free access. I need to go check out that TJ's and get me some of the good stuff.