"In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back."
-Charlie Brown


Monday, May 12, 2008

My Mom and Dad

It was my Dad's birthday on Saturday and Mother's Day on Sunday. We were able to spend the weekend together. These are the two people who raised me and taught me all about life. I feel very blessed to be their daughter!

From my mom I learned that family is the most important thing. She had a career as a teacher before I came along, but took time off to stay home with her 3 children when they were young. (Sounds familiar, doesn't it?) She is very resourceful and I have seen her create Halloween costumes out of an old bedspread, garbage bags, or cardboard boxes. When I was in 6th grade I told her at dinner one night that I had a diorama of an ancient civilization due the next day. Even though she was upset with me for being such a procrastinator, she helped me put together a Mayan scene with stuff we had in the garage. She has always been outgoing and talkative, so it must have been strange for her to have a shy little girl who would barely talk to anyone. She taught me to be independent, confident, and inspired my love of books and music. (Alright, to be honest, the piano lessons were not my idea, but now I'm glad I can play!) My mom always told me I was smart, talented, and that I could do anything I wanted in life.

My dad showed me by example to be honest, to be responsible, and to work hard. When I struggled with something he would help me to study more, or practice more, but he always said not to give up. He watched me play countless soccer games. My dad grew up playing football and basketball and knew almost nothing about soccer, which his only daughter was crazy about. I think he recognized that I had a huge competitive streak. Now he comes to watch Noah play soccer and he understands a lot more about the game. People say that I get my stubbornness and impatience from my dad, but I like to call it determination and clarity. (Yes, I admit that I have been known to yell at other drivers on the freeway just like my dad. I know they can't hear me, but it doesn't matter.) Most of all, he has taught me to have a sense of humor about life. (My mom and I are laughing in the picture above because he's not really talking on that cell phone, he doesn't even know how to use it.)

I am so lucky that I get to see them often and that my kids are able to spend so much time with their grandparents. Thank you mom and dad, I love you both.






(My dad with the boys at the Morley Farm in Kirtland, Ohio - my parents were serving a mission there.)

5 comments:

Casey said...

What a kind tribute to your parents. I just learned a little more about them. I think they are great too.

korie said...

That was so great! I hope your Dad can use a computer so he can read it :)

www.mostblessedman.blogspot.com said...

Happy Birthday Bishop!

Happy Mum's Day Sister V!

You do have good parents, Tara. I do still believe they should have stepped in and prevented you from choosing that color for the Mustang though.

Tara said...

Marque -
You never complained about the color when I gave you rides to school!

Don't worry...the Mustang is no longer turquoise. Scott convinced me to paint it red about 15 years ago. I will post a pick of it so you can see.

www.mostblessedman.blogspot.com said...

I love Mustangs period! While Crest green would not be my choice, I would rather take that over a non mustang any other color. Please post a pic. I would love to see it.