So this is the 2nd year I have been working as a substitute teacher. Sometimes I really hate it. Let's see..getting called not-so-nice names, kids crying when they see me and realize their teacher is gone, disrepectful students... all common in the life of a sub. If the class is well-behaved, I don't mind it too much. But it is hard going to a different class every day, not knowing the students at all. Once I did get to be the sub for Malia's kindergarten class. (She's my niece). It was fun hanging out with her for the day. She even remembered to call me "Mrs. Z" and not "Aunt Tara". But subbing is wearing me down. There are not a lot of rewarding moments. I want to have my own class again - but teaching jobs around here are scarce right now.
Today I subbed for a 5th grade class. I have been in this class several times, and have become friends with the teacher. She knows I used to teach full-time. Today she left an art lesson for me to do on Henri Matisse. I really like art and I was excited to actually teach something and not just pass out a worksheet. At the end of the lesson, one girl raised her hand and I called on her. She said, "Mrs. Z, you should become a real teacher." It totally made my day.
Tuesday, April 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
Hey Tara! Sorry I sunk in to stalk your private life :) I saw your profile on Kristine's blog. Hope you don't mind! I was so excited to see it. I was surprised actually! Your boys are so grown up! Wow! Well check us out anytime...Brownings5280.Blogspot.com
I love your substitute story! That's great!
That was supposed to say snuck...
Great story! What was the lesson? It's good to hear about kids getting art in elementary.
Post a Comment