"In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back."
-Charlie Brown


Thursday, February 11, 2010

The trials of life

I was selected to be on a jury at the beginning of January. I'm not supposed to talk about the case or anything, but let's just say...I'm STILL on that jury. Life can be stressful enough, but to throw jury duty into the mix has come close to sending me over the edge. My kids, home, friends, husband, dog,...you name it - have been neglected. To make matters worse, I have been sick with a cold for 2 weeks, hacking away, not sleeping well. Caleb decided to dig himself into another hole at school, so I've been dealing with teachers and principals. Then last week, I got pulled over (for the first time in 20 years) and was issued a ticket. Obviously, since I have to be in court every day, I have not been working at all, which means I have not been making any money. And now I have to pay for a ticket.

I usually try not to complain, because like the saying goes, someone else always has it worse than you. But all of this has put me in a cranky mood. A few days ago, the kids called me outside to the backyard. It had been raining for most of the day, and when it finally stopped there was a rainbow. They wanted me to see it. Those two boys can actually be sweet and thoughtful from time to time. For a minute I forgot about all the things I had been worrying about. We just stood there and looked at it.

I will admit that I'm still feeling stressed, but I am trying really hard to look for some bright spots (and not be cranky)!

5 comments:

korie said...

Oh Tara,
I'm sorry your still dealing with "Law and Order!" And your STILL sick. Hopefully some Mexican food will be helpful :)

Jennifer said...

I feel cranky too. Let's go find a corner to sit in together. I've never been on jury duty and your experience is making me never want to be a good citizen.

Here's to cheering up!!!!

Sara said...

Love your picture of the rainbow, still slightly jealous that you are on a jury, and sorry but Caleb just puts a smile on my face. Sara

Kristine Van Buskirk said...

What a sweet message! I was feeling your pain (not the experience, since I've never been on a jury) and feeling your stress and then the story about the rainbow... priceless!

Here's to looking at the bright side! Good luck!

InWeighOverMyHead said...

wow. I hope the case ends soon!